A Carpatho-Rusyn Shrine: Our Lady of Boronyavo, Khust, Zakarpattia, Ukraine
The monks of the ancient Monastery of Boronyaho in the Hutsul region of Trans-Carpathia have gone through many rough times during their long history.
In 1771, the monastery was closed down by Austrian Emperor Joseph II. During the time of closure, one of the monks, who were faithful to their vows, had a vision of Our Lady. An icon was written in memory of this event and was enshrined in the monastery chapel. Soon miracles began to happen. Large pilgrimages began to the shrine. Today the icon travels throughout Trans-Carpathia giving even more people the chance to venerate it.
Father Chris Zugger, former pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Byzantine Catholic Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico, who has spoken several times at our own pilgrimage, is the founder of the Mission Society of Our Lady of Boronyaho which supports the Greek Catholic Church in Trans-Carpathia and Slovakia. You can read about the history of the icon and about the work of the society on their site and find instructions on how to make donation.
Our Lady of Boronyavo, pray for us!